Freelancing can be scary, especially when you take the first leap, but it can also be incredibly rewarding. Here are 10 things about freelancing that I’m thankful for...
1. First and most important...sleeping in! J/k, it’s not the most important, but it is super nice to be able to make my own schedule. I usually work in 2-3 hour chunks throughout the day, hang out with my husband when he comes home and then get in a few extra hours late at night and often even into the wee hours of the morning. Sometimes inspiration strikes at 2am...that’s just how it is!
2. I also REALLY love the variety of work. I get to choose my clients...and I try to keep a balance of corporate clients and nonprofits at all times. Not only does it keep me sharp by working with lots of different organizations, but I feel like I’m making a difference in my community too!
3. Because I get to choose my clients, I get to meet awesome new people all the time. I’ve met so many nice people since I’ve been freelancing, and many of my clients I call friends. You know who you are!
4. This might seem like a little thing, but just having the ability to take care of shit during the day, like running to the grocery store, going to the doctor, making umpteen phone calls when buying/selling a house. It is SOOO much easier to do all that administrative stuff when you work for yourself.
5. One pretty cool thing is that you FINALLY get to create a brand from scratch all by yourself—a brand for yourself or your company. You don’t have to abide by anyone’s brand guidelines but your own, so you can make something you are really proud of.
6. I can take my work anywhere. I’ve worked in Denver, Boston, Atlanta, Louisville and London, England, to name a few. I’ve worked in my garage, at a park, at a friend’s house, in a coffee shop, etc. Working from different spots is SO inspiring!
7. One of my favorite perks is the vacation days. I can take as many as I want whenever I want. Of course I have to be responsible to my clients and the projects I’ve dedicated myself to, but other than that, it’s all up to me!
8. I’m also more in charge of my income and role as a freelancer. The more I work, the more I get paid. Plus I can give myself a raise or a promotion if I want to ;) I’m my own boss.
9. I’m thankful for all my AMAZING clients and family and friends who’ve supported me along the way. I am so lucky to be surrounded by people who love me and appreciate me and let me be ME!
10. Probably most important...to me, anyway...is that I finally feel like an adult. When I went to college, and when I started my professional career...I kept thinking that the next step would make me feel like “I’d made it,” like I was in charge of my life. But I never really felt that way until I became a full-time freelancer. I was finally actually in charge of my own destiny (it was all up to me—winning clients, bookkeeping, etc.!)...and it was scary, but it was also exhilarating. And I wouldn’t change it for the world. This is what I always dreamed the real world would be like.
If you’re a freelancer...or are thinking about taking the plunge, lmk your thoughts! I love to swap stories with other freelancers and entrepreneurs!