Fall is the perfect time to schedule a family photoshoot. So pull out your favorite plaids and boots and take advantage of the beautiful weather!
Here are a few things you can do to make sure your family photoshoot is peaceful and fun, while your photographer takes some AMAZING photos you will cherish for years!
1. Choose a color scheme.
Your colors can be influenced by the season, your personal style (e.g., are you an outdoorsy type that likes warm, earthy colors?) or the location (e.g., at the park: flannel, downtown: bright, urban colors). A few sample color schemes:
Make sure you're not too matchy-matchy and that your clothes make you feel good and represent your personality. Use layers to add interest (scarves, vests, jewelry, hats, etc.).
2. Let yourself be a kid…and let your KID be a kid too! The more you open up and let loose, the better your pictures will look. You might feel silly, but that's when the best photos are taken. Sometimes I even ask the kiddos if they have an idea for a cool shot! Just enjoy the experience, relax and have fun!
3. Bring your child's favorite toys or activities/books with you. Playing with their favorite objects not only keeps them calm, but can make for adorable photos that capture their most meaningful possessions.
4. Pick a location that has special meaning to you and your family. Your photos will be loved even more when you can reminisce about your first home or favorite picnic spot.
5. Bring a treat or snack to reward your kids for good behavior. Yes, this is bribing and it works. When I do family shoots, I bring along my treasure box, which is filled with goodies the kids can keep after the shoot (it's always a huge hit!).
6. Trust your photographer. To me, this is the most important. You hired your photographer for a reason, so let them run the show. They've done this many times with many different family dynamics; they know what works.
If you have any questions about how to prep for your family photoshoot, let me know!